I was bored of the usual sambar menu. So wanted to have something different and made this tomato Gojju. I am a great fan of this and used to gobble down dal rice with this when mom used to make it. This is super simple to make. You can pair this with idlis, dosas or simple dal rice.
Tomatoes – 4 medium sized
Garlic – 7-8 cloves
Onion – 1 medium sized
Tamarind – marble sized
Sambar/Red Chilli Powder – 1 TSP
Hing/asafoetida – 1/4 Tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 Tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 Tsp
Rice flour – 1 tbsp
Jaggery – 1 tsp
Coriander and curry leaves – a few
1. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds.
2. Add finely chopped onion and garlic. Saute till the onion turns brown.
3. Add tomatoes and saute till they turn soft and mushy.
4. Add spice powders and saute till the raw smell leaves
5. Add tamarind juice, jaggery,salt and enough water and bring to boil.
6. Mix some rice flour with water to a smooth paste and add it with constant stirring for the thickening effect.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves.
If your tomatoes are too sour, you can skip tamarind.