Sojji – easy to make tiffin :)
If you are from Tamil Nadu reading this, am sure you must be familiar with the phrase bajji-sojji. Haha, yeah.. This is the same sojji. After all the heavy diwali feasts, if you need something mild and soothing, go with this. This is extremely simple and tasty too. It uses ingredients similar to pongal. Check out the recipe below.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Raw Rice – 1.5 cups
Moong Dal – 0.25 cup
Red Chillies – 4
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Channa Dal – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Water – 4 cups
Curry Leaves – a few
Salt – to taste
Grated Coconut – 1 tbsp
1. Dry roast rice and dal till it gives a nice aroma and the rice changes bright white.Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds. Once done, add the dals and let them turn brown.
3. Now add red chillies and saute for a minute.
4. Add water and required salt and bring to a boil.
5. Now add the roasted rice and dal. Mix well.
6. Once the water is almost absorbed, transfer the mixture to a vessel and place in a pressure cooker with water and the weight or whistle on.
7. Cook for 5 minutes on high flame after you hear the first whistle.
8. Once pressure subsides, open and fluff up with fork. Add grated coconut and serve hot.
– The water quantity depends on the quality of rice used.
– The cooking time also varies with the pressure cooker used.