Hope you guys enjoyed the previous recipe of Bisibelabath from my mother’s cookbook. If you missed the recipe of Bisibelabath, click here.
This recipe of sago or sabudana/Javvarisi Upma is also my mother’s recipe and I totally love this. This sabudana Upma is different from the sabudana khichdi made in North India. You can find the recipe of sabudana khichdi here.
This recipe of Sabudana Upma uses moong Dal as one of the main ingredients apart from sago. This Upma is very simple to make and also takes very less time to make excluding the soaking time.
Preparation Method of Sago/Sabudana/Javvarisi Upma:
Preparation Time: 8 hours soaking Time
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Nylon Sago or small variety of Sabudana – 1 cup soaked overnight in enough water
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Cashewnuts – 1 tbsp
Red Chillies – 4
Oil – 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Soak sabudana in enough water overnight. Wash well and drain water completely. Set aside.
2. Pressure cook moong dal woth enough water for 1 or 2 whistles till soft. It shouldn’t be mushy. You can also cook it in open pan till it is cooked. Drain the water and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Fry cashewnuts and set aside.
4. Temper mustard seeds and urad dal.
5. Fry red chillies for a minute.
6. Add the drained sago and mix well. Cook till the sago turns translucent.
7. Now add the drained moong dal and enough salt. Mix well.
8. Garnish with fried cashewnuts. Serve hot with pickle.
1. Draining water from sago and moong dal is very important. If not drained properly, the texture of the upma will turn mushy.