Ridge Gourd Stir Fry (Beerakaya/Peerkangai/Turai Stir Fry)
Some of you might want to go directly to the Ridge Gourd Stir Fry recipe and skip the intro part. For all those of you wanting to view the recipe, please click below button to go directly to the recipe.
Hope you all enjoyed my previous recipe of Cauliflower Roast. If you have not checked it yet, you can click below to view the recipe.
Today’s recipe is a simple stir fry recipe made with ridge gourd/beerakaya/peerkangai/turai. This is an item in the daily menu and can be had with white rice or rotis too. It is extremely simple to make and involves a very few ingredients. We usually save the peel of the ridge gourd to make a thick chutney kind called Thogayal in South India. I have already posted the recipe using chow chow/chayote/squash peels. Click below links to view the recipes.
Ridge gourd is an extremely healthy vegetable and has a lot of water content in it. Below are some of the health benefits of ridge gourd:
Ridge Gourd also contains Vitamin C for keeping away colds, B Vitamins for good mood and vitality, zinc for strengthening our immune system, iron for anemia,manganese and magnesium for enzyme production and immunity, plus calciumand phosphorus for strong bones. (Source: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/17-health-benefits-ridge-gourd-dr-paul-haider)
Preparation Method of Ridge Gourd Stir Fry:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ridge Gourd/Beerakaya/Peerkangai/Turai: 2 big
Onion: 1 medium chopped
Garlic cloves: 12-15
Chilli Powder: 1/2 – 3/4 tsp
Salt: to taste
Oil: 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
1. Peel the ridge gourd and cut into pieces. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds.
3. Add chopped onions and garlic cloves. Saute till the onions and garlic change color.
4. Now add the chopped ridge gourd pieces and saute till all the water content disappears and the vegetable becomes soft and is almost cooked. This takes around 10 minutes.
5. Finally add chilli powder and salt. Mix well and leave on flame for a couple of minutes.
6. Serve with sambar rice, curd rice or rotis.