Pickle Green Moong Gravy
Hope you guys liked my previous recipe of my favourite Aloo Tikkis. The recipe for the day is Pickle Green Moong Gravy. I usually make the normal onion-tomato based gravy with green moong / green gram. However, I wanted to try it little different this time. Hence, here it is – Pickle Green Moong Gravy. This green moong gravy does not use a lot of ingredients and as the name suggests , pickle is the main ingredient used here.
This green moong gravy is absolutely healthy, wholesome and delicious. Whenever I do not make sambar or dal for lunch, I make sure I include some lentil along with rice to fulfil the protein quotient for the day. I have already posted quite a few lentil recipes which you can check below:
- Helps Reduce Weight and Fights Obesity. Mung beans are a filling food.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Controls cholesterol and heart disease risk.
- Help fight cancer. …
- Boosts Immunity & Protects Against Infections.
- Improves skin health.
- Anti-Toxic Benefits.
- Decreases PMS Symptoms.
Preparation Method of Pickle Green Moong Gravy:
Preparation Time: Overnight soaking time
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Green gram/ Whole Green Moong: 1/2 cup soaked overnight.
Mango pickle: 2 tsp or more
Onions: 2 big , chopped and ground to paste
Ginger Garlic paste :1 tsp
Garam Masala: 1/2 tsp
Sugar: 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice: optional
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Salt : to taste
Oil: 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
1. Soak the green moong in enough water for 8 hours or overnight. Drain the water and follow the next steps.
2. Pressure cook green moong dal with enough water till soft. I usually add water which is above the level of the green monng dal. After the first whistle, I pressure cook for around 5 minutes irrespective of the number of whistles on medium flame. After the pressure subsides, keep the green moong aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds turn golden, add the onion paste and ginger garlic paste and saute till the paste changes to brown color and the raw smell leaves.
4. Next add the cooked green moong along with the water and mix well.
5. Now add pickle, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt ( add less since pickle already contains salt), sugar and mix well. Add enough water.
6. Allow the whole mixture to simmer for around 5 minutes on medium flame. Adjust water according to consistency needed.
7. Serve hot with rice, toasted bread or rotis.
1. Any pickle can be used. Lemon juice can be added for extra tang based on pickle used. Since I added mango pickle, the tang was sufficient for us.
2. Ensure you add less salt since salt will already be present in the pickle.
3. If garlic pickle is used, just ginger paste can be added.
4. Pickle quantity can be varied according to taste.