Onion Chutney | Vengaya Chutney
First of all, I would love to thank all my readers for the awesome response for my last post – 5 minute Chilli Cheese Toast. And now, I am sure you will love this quick Onion chutney recipe too. It again takes just 5 minutes and only 3 main ingredients except the tempering ingredients. Sounds wonderful, right? This onion chutney is something I have been having from childhood till date.
When you have a fulfilling breakfast of idlis or dosas but are quite lazy to prepare a chutney or by any chance if your pantry does not have coconuts, tomatoes etc., then this onion chutney is a wonderful choice. You could check other interesting and innovative chutney recipes by clicking the below button
The best part about this chutney is it is a no cook recipe. You just need to switch on the stove if you need tempering. I skip tempering these days because my son hates it. So, technically for us, this onion chutney is a no-cook recipe.
Before I move on to this simple recipe, let me tell you what is the best dish to eat this chutney with. This onion chutney tastes great with idlis and dosas. Specially, with Curry leaf idli, Mudakathan Keerai dosa, Ragi dosa etc. If you are planning to have it with plain dosa, use it as follows:
- Spread a ladle of batter onto a hot dosa tava.
- Drizzle oil. When it is half done on one side, sprinkle paruppu podi or just roasted gram(dalia or pottukadalai powder that is ground with red chilli powder) powder and apply around 2 tsp of this onion chutney on the dosa.
- Do not flip the dosa. Just fold it and serve hot. This is guaranteed bliss, I say.
Let me move on to the recipe now:
Preparation Method of Onion Chutney:
- Onions: 3 medium sized
- Dry red chillies: 3-4
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Oil: 1 tsp(optional)
- Curry leaves: a few(optional)
- Chop onions into cubes.
- Grind the onions,dry red chillies and salt to a very fine paste. The chilli flakes should nicely be mixed.
- If tempering is needed, heat oil in a pan and temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add to the chutney.
This onion chutney is very spicy and hence tastes absolutely yummy when mixed with lots of gingelly oil during serving.
It is recommended to rinse your mouth after having this as it has a strong odour of onion.