Lemony Cabbage Dal – Tangy and yummy :)
This is something that my mom prepares often. Simplest of the simple I would say. It tastes great neverthless 🙂 It is authentically called Cabbage Pullanga Pappu at home. Couldn’t find a better translation, so named it ‘Lemony Cabbage Dal’. As I already said, this is so simple that it can be prepared in a jiffy and when served with something spicy like Plantain fry , Gobi Fry , Potato Masala, Brinjal Curry or even a simple pickle, I assure you will be in seventh heaven!!! With regard to nutrition, this is a wholesome dish with cabbage providing dietary fibre, dal as the protein source and lemon which acts a source of Vit C. Simple, tasty and healthy in one shot!!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Cabbage – 1 cup finely shredded
Lemon – 1+1/2
Green Chillies – 3
Toor Dal – 1/4 cup
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – To Taste
1. Pressure cook the dhals and cabbage for 4 or 5 whistles.
2. Mash the dhals and keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds.
4. Once the seeds splutter, add green chillies and saute for a minute.
5. Now add the mashed dhals and cabbage. Add turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
6. Allow to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Switch off the flame and squeeze lemon juice. Garnish with coriander leaves.
– Any type of dhal can be used.
– Add lemon juice only after switching off the flame. Otherwise it might lend a bitter taste to the dish.