How to make Sweet Corn Gravy with just 1 tsp of oil?
The post title is more than enough to convey that this recipe uses very little oil. For all the health conscious foodies out there, this should be a blessing in disguise. Isn’t it? This is a simple Sweet corn gravy recipe that uses just 1 tsp of oil. I have used cashews and fresh cream which can be substituted with healthier options too. This mainly uses onions for the gravy part and no tomatoes. You can innovate and try your own combinations too instead of sweet corn.
Sweet corn has antioxidant activity, which helps protect the body from cancer and heart disease, and this is actually increased when corn is cooked. Sweet corn is loaded with lutein and zeaxanthin, two phytochemicals that promote healthy vision. So, instead of high fat gravies to go with your pulaos or rotis, you can try this simple healthy one 🙂
You can check other gravy and curry recipes here. Also, if you like this recipe, please do share it with your friends and family. Please do leave your feedback too 🙂
Off to the recipe now.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Sweet Corn – 1
Onions – 2 medium
Green Chillies – 3-4
Cashewnuts – 10
Fresh Cream – as required(optional)
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander Leaves – for garnish
1. Steam sweet corn kernels for around 5 minutes till soft. Keep aside.
2. Meanwhile, add enough water to a pan. Add chopped onions, green chillies and cashews. Cook till the onions and cashews become soft and get cooked.
3. Make a paste out of the boiled onions, chillies and cashews.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Temper cumin seeds.
5. Add the onion-cashew paste and corn kernels. Mix well.
6. Now add all the powders and mix well. Leave for 2-3 minutes.
7. Finally add salt to taste and allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add fresh cream before switching off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
– Cashews can be replaced with almonds.
– Low fat cream can be used or fresh cream can be completely skipped too.
– Amount of chilli powder can be varied according to the level of spiciness required.