Healthy Aval/Poha Upma for dinner or breakfast
Would you say no to a healthy and yummy dish on our plate that is easy to prepare as well. I don’t think anybody would. This is one such dish which is packed with health and taste. Aval or rice flakes is highly nutritious and rich in iron and carbohydrates. The softness of poha combined with the crunchy texture of peanuts and dals makes this a real treat to your tongue.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Thick rice flakes – 1.75 cups
Onion – 1 medium sized chopped
Green Chillies – 2/3
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Tamarind – gooseberry sized
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
Roasted Peanuts – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
1. Wash the rice flakes in water and soak for 3 minutes. Drain the excess water.
2. To the rice flakes, add tamarind extract, chilli powder, turmeric powder and sugar. Let this soak for atleast 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the dals and curry leaves.
4. Once the dals turn brown, add onions and green chillies. Saute till onions turn transparent.
5. Now add the soaked rice flakes and mix well.
6. Add required salt to taste and roasted peanuts. Stir well.
-Chilli Powder can be replaced with Idli gunpowder or molagapodi.