Curry Leaf Idli | Karuvepillai Idli | Kadi Patha ki Idli
Curry Leaf Idli: Hope you guys liked my previous mushroom gravy recipe. Todays recipe will be an easy and healthy idli recipe from my mother in law’s cookbook. It is the yummy curry leaf idli/ Karuvepillai Idli. She is someone who makes a lot of different idlis like Kambu/Bajra Idli, Tuvar Dal idli, kanchipuram idli etc etc. I am a lazy bum when it comes to grinding and she is someone who is patient enough to make these variety idlis often. So, this time I clicked these beautiful curry leaf idlies before I had them for breakfast. This is a very healthy idli that can be made when you have surplus of curry leaves and would love to use them in some innovative recipe. Apart from using the healthy curry leaves, idlis as such are steamed and hence they are even more healthy. If you still have curry leaves even after using in this recipe, try this Curry Leaf Powder recipe and am sure you will love it. Curry leaf idli is generally paired with a spicy raw onion chutney topped with some gingelly oil or the usual idli molagapodi/gun powder.
Preparation Method of Curry leaf Idli:
Soaking Time: 3 hours
Grinding Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Idli Rice: 3 cups
Toor Dal: 3/4 cup
Urad Dal: 1/4 cup
Salt: as required
Curry Leaves: 1.5 cups tightly packed
Red Chillies: according to spice level
Ginger: 1 inch piece
Fenugreek/Methi Seeds/Vendhayam: 1 tsp
1. Wash and soak rice, dals and fenugreek seeds together for around 3 hours.
2. Grind rice, dal and fenugreek mixture to an idli batter texture.
3. Wash the curry leaves and grind along with ginger and red chillies in a mixer grinder to a smooth paste.
4. Mix the curry leaf paste to the ground batter along with enough salt.
5. Ferment for 8 hours.
6. Pour the fermented batter in idli moulds and steam for around 15 minutes.
7. Serve hot with any chutney or sambar of your choice.
1. The batter should be of right consistency. Ensure too much water is not added when grinding curry leaves and make sure the batter is of right consistency after adding the paste.
2. The steaming time is around 15 to 20 minutes. After 15 minutes, check if the idli is cooked well. Else, steam for some more time.