Summer has started in full swing in Chennai and hence time for a refreshing summer drink post. The summer drink I have chosen is Cucumber Tea – chilled and hydrating, it is the prefect choice for the scorching summer. If you are a tea lover like me, I am sure you will love this recipe 🙂
This recipe of Cucumber Tea is completely vegan and super refreshing. I just picked up a cucumber yesterday when I made a visit to the super market and since then I wanted to make something with it. The usual recipes of cucumber raita, cucumber chutney or even cucumber lassi are all done and hence this trial of Cucumber Tea. I saw a few green tea recipes with cucumber on Pinterest and came up with this idea inspired from those.
MORE SUMMER RECIPES FROM THE ARCHIVES:
One more reason for this recipe now is that I am working in conjunction with two of my blogger friends with the summer special theme and hence this will be my first entry to the theme. You could have a look at their blogs below for some amazing recipes
- Kitchen Kathukutty
- This blog is the brain child of one of my dear friends in the blogging world, Kalyani VT. If you are someone looking to provide healthy food options to your children, then don’t look any further. Kitchen Kathukutty will be your answer to all your queries about healthy cooking and baby food. Kalyani specialises in recipes that do not use any refined ingredients( maida, sugar etc). From cakes and cookies to everyday meal plans, Kitchen Kathukutty covers it all and I highly recommend all of you to check it out. Click here to view a collection of all beverages from her blog.
- Veena’s Veg Nation
- Got introduced to Veena recently and I am quite impressed with her blog’s presentation and recipes. She has a varied collection of recipes on her blog ranging from appetizers, bread, paleo diets to preserves and pretty much everything. Go, check out her beverage recipe collection by clicking here.
Health Benefits of Cucumber:
As you all know, Cucumber is very low in calories and has a high amount of water content which aids in hydration. Hydration is especially needed in summers when we are most prone to issues of dehydration. Apart from this, cucumber has more health benefits which can be found in the below link:
Preparation Method of Cucumber Tea:
- Serves: 2
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
1 cup = 240 ml
- Cucumber – 1 medium sized (chopped into bite sized pieces – 3/4 cup)
- Tea Powder ( I used Chakra Gold Tea) – 1 tsp
- Water for brewing tea: 1/2 cup
- Mint leaves: 10-12
- Lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
- Honey – 3/4 tbsp or to taste
- Unrefined Cane sugar – 1 tsp(optional)
- Heat 1/2 cup water with tea powder and mint leaves. Leave it on medium flame for 5 minutes till tea is done. Strain and allow to cool.
- Blend cucumber pieces with 1/2 cup water to a smooth mixture. Strain the juice and set aside. I got around 3/4 cup of cucumber juice.
- Now, blend the brewed and cooled tea, cucumber juice, lemon juice, honey and sugar till everything is homogeneously mixed.
- Serve chilled.
– Quantity of tea powder can be varied according to preference.
– Same applies to honey and sugar too.
– This tastes best when served chilled.