Coconut Upma – Different Upma recipe!!
Ok, now this is a different upma recipe again from mummy’s cookbook passed on from granny’s. Needless to say, my grandmother is a wonderful cook and I can literally die for this dish!! Best part is this doesn’t even require any side dish. This tastes great with raw finely chopped onions. It tastes even better the next day. And whats more, if you are bored of the usual rava upma, semiya upma( you can check out Shahi Semiya, Masala Semiya Upma) or any other upma, try this out. I am sure you will all fall in love with this. The picture might not do justice to the taste. I was so intent on getting this down my throat that I took the pic in a hurry 😉
Preparation Time: 1 hour soaking time + 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Coconut – 1/2
Red Chillies – 5
Coriander Seeds – 1/2 tbsp
Tamarind – gooseberry sized
Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 3 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
1. Clean and wash raw rice. Soak it for 1 hour in enough water.
2. After 1 hour, grind rice, coconut pieces, red chillies,coriander seeds and salt to a smooth paste in a mixer.
3. To this paste, add tamarind extract and jaggery. Mix well without lumps.Make the mixture watery(similar to rava dosa batter).
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds and red chillies.
5. Lower the flame and add the ground mixture slowly.
6. Keep stirring often and add remaining oil in stages. The mixture starts to come together and solidifies.
7. When the whole mass changes to a light golden colour and tastes cooked, switch off the flame.
8. Garnish with finely chopped onions.
– It is very important to make the mixture watery with enough water.