Cauliflower Fry – hot and spicy
Cauliflower Fry – That will be the recipe for the day. I have already posted a cauliflower-roast recipe on the blog here. I should say cauliflower roast is a big favourite of many readers as I have seen good amount of views for that roast recipe of mine. The previous recipe doesn’t use any other ingredient except for cauliflower and spice powders. Today’s cauliflower Fry recipe uses capsicum and onions as well along with cauliflower and is spiced with some white pepper powder.
In short, the recipe involves roasting the cauliflower and frying it with onions, capsicum and spices. It pairs well with rotis and curd rice.
Preparation Method of Cauliflower Fry:
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Cauliflower – 1 medium head
Onion – 1 medium thinly sliced
Capsicum – 1 small thinly sliced
Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
White Pepper Powder – 1 tsp or according to taste
Sugar – 1/2 tsp or more optional. I used country sugar or the unrefined sugar.
Dry Mango Powder or Amchur Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Butter – 2 tsp
Oil – 5 tsp
1. Clean cauliflower florets and keep aside. Heat enough water in a pan with turmeric powder. Once the water comes to a Rolling boil, add the cauliflower florets and parboil for 5 minutes on high flame. Drain immediately and keep aside.
2. Heat around 3 tsps of oil on a dosa tava and roast the florets till they turn brown. Set aside.
3. Heat butter and remaining oil in another pan. Once the butter melts, add the sliced onions and saute till they turn translucent.
4. Next add capsicums and fry on hugh flame till it is cooked.
5. Now lower the flame and add coriander and cumin powder. Mix well.
6. Now add roasted cauliflower florets, white pepper powder, salt and a handful of water so that it mixes well and sticks to the florets.
7. Add sugar and amchur powder. Cook closed on a low flame for 5 minutes or till the whole thing turns dry.
8. Serve hot
1. Quantity of pepper can be adjusted according to preference.
2. Black pepper powder can be used.
3. Since I used country sugar which is brown in color, the fry’s color is on the brownish side apart from the lighting conditions.