Carrot Dosa: Wishing all of my readers a very happy new year 2019. May this year be filled with happiness and may each one of you be bestowed with health and success for the whole year. So, the first post for the new year is going to be a healthy breakfast dish – CARROT DOSA. This is not just mixing pureed carrots to the idli dosa batter but little different. This is my mother’s recipe and she makes it perfect everytime. I tried it for the first time and it came out well.
For all kids who hate or skip carrots, this is one recipe that you can easily make and feed them without any fuss. The color of the dosas are so beautiful and enticing and they will love it. This recipe of Carrot Dosa involves just 2 main ingredients and can be done easily. Carrots as you all know are a rich source of vitamin A and hence need to be taken regularly. You could also check out other carrot recipes on the blog as given below:
Preparation Method of Carrot Dosa:
Makes: around 15 dosas
Preparation Time: 3 hours soaking + 30 minutes grinding + 8 hours fermentation
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Cup used is 200 ml cup
Raw Rice: 2 cups
Carrots: 250g or 4 medium sized carrots chopped to small pieces
Dry Red Chillies: 4
Coriander Seeds/Dhaniya: 2 tbsp
Salt: as needed
Oil: 1-2 tsp for each dosa
Fenugreek Seeds/Methi/Vendhayam: 1 tsp
Water: 1.5 – 2 cups
Cooking Soda: 1/2 tsp(optional)
1. Clean and soak raw rice with fenugreek seeds for about 3 hours. Wash and drain water after 3 hours. Grind the rice in a wet grinder with around 1 cup of water till it is smooth. It took around 10 minutes for me. Remove from grinder and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, grind the chopped carrots along with red chillies and coriander seeds to a smooth paste. Add water as required.
3. Mix the carrot paste with the rice batter and add enough salt and water if needed. The consistency should be of normal dosa batter consistency.
4. Leave this for 8 hours.
5. After 8 hours, mix well, add cooking soda(optional) and add water if needed to adjust consistency.
6. Heat a dosa tava. Spread the batter like how we do for normal dosa. Drizzle some oil around the dosa. Cook covered for a minute or so till it is done. You can flip and repeat the same process again.
7. Serve hot with sambar or chutney of your choice.
1. Though urad dal is not used, my mother suggested me to leave it for 8 hours before making dosas to ensure we get soft dosas.