Cabbage Stir Fry with Moong Dal – Simple yet satisfying!!
Well, a post after a very long time!! So, posting something very simple and easy to make. Most South Indian lunch menus have the following items; Sambar, Rasam and a poriyal/stir fry. This is a very common stir fry/ poriyal made with cabbage. I learnt this from my mother-in-law. She makes a spicy poriyal version too. However, this tastes mild and is a very good combination with spicy sambar rice. One small tip here 😉 You can even use this as a sandwich filling 😛
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Cabbage(shredded) – 2 – 2.5 cups (not very finely shredded)
Green Chillies – 3
Moong Dal – 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Water – as required
1. Heat oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Saute green chillies.
2. Now add the cabbage and mix well. Saute for 2 minutes.
3. Now add the moong dal and turmeric powder. Sprinkle little water. Mix well.
4. Keep sprinkling water in small amounts and cook closed on a low flame.
5. Repeat this until the cabbage and moong dal turn soft.
6. Add required salt and grated coconut. Mix well and saute for 1 minute.
– Do not overcook the cabbage or dal. The texture should be intact.
– You can increase/decrease the amount of dal and coconut depending on your taste.