I have been sharing some daily sabji recipes or vegetable stir fry recipes for some time now. Today’s recipe will also fall under that category. In the hustle bustle morning hours, all that we look for is something quick and easy to cook, also nutritious at the same time. This beetroot poriyal/beetroot stir fry fits that requirement perfectly. It is a simple recipe made with very minimal ingredients. I paired it with some Keerai sambar for lunch and it suited perfectly.
This is similar to the Kerala style beetroot thoran recipe as it uses coconut. The thoran recipe uses coconut oil for tempering but I used normal groundnut oil and also a few other stuff omitted from the authentic thoran recipe. If you are running out of time, then this beetroot poriyal is the perfect choice to make on a busy morning. Below are some beetroot recipes from the archives and also a collection of daily sabji recipes for you!!
BEETROOT RECIPES FROM THE ARCHIVES:
Click on the recipe name to view the recipe
Beetroot Recipe Ideas
Beetroot is a super healthy vegetable as all of you know. Please do check out the above mentioned recipes and I am sure you will like it.
- My mother makes Beetroot Rasam too. I will be posting that recipe soon on the blog.
- Apart from all these recipes, you can also make beetroot juice. I also use the water used for cooking beetroot, add some salt and pepper to it and consume it 🙂
- You could also try adding beetroot puree to poori/roti dough and make pooris out of it.
- One more option would be to make akki rotis with a lovely pink color – You could follow this recipe of Coriander akki roti and replace coriander paste with beetroot paste.
- Or try these kozhukattais replacing carrot with beetroot.
Health Benefits of Beetroot:
As you all know, beetroot has immense health benefits. To know more in detail about the health benefits of beetroot, visit below link:
Preparation Method of Beetroot Poriyal | Beetroot Stir Fry:
- Serves: 3
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Beetroot – 1 big chopped into small pieces ( around 3/4 cup)
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Green Chilli – 1 big or 2 small
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Chop the beetroot into small pieces and pressure cook with very little water directly in a pressure cooker for around 2 whistles or till cooked. Set aside.
- Grind the grated coconut along with the green chilli to a coarse paste without adding water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Drain any water from pressure cooked beetroot and add the beetroot to the pan.
- Mix well. Now add the coconut- chilli paste and mix well.
- Add required salt and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with steamed rice or sambar rice.
- You could use coconut oil in the recipe.
- Cumin seeds/jeera can also be blended along with coconut-chilli paste.
- Quantity of coconut and chilli can be varied according to taste preferences.