Thogayal is a kind of chutney that is prepared in Tamil Nadu.Most recipes that I post here are either from my mother or my mother in law. Mom makes this yummy chutney and I somehow still can’t match upto her taste. This tastes amazingly great with idli, dosa or even plain rice. This has pepper and curry leaves too which lends a unique taste to this thogayal. Now off to the recipe….
Serves: 2 or 3
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Tomatoes – 3 medium or 2 big
Urad Dal – 1.5 tbsp
Red Chillies – 4 or 5
Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – a handful
Oil – 2 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp(optional)
Salt – to taste
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
1. Chop tomatoes into bite sized pieces and keep all other ingredients ready.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Roast urad dal and red chillies. once the dal starts turning light brown, add the pepper and jeera and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Switch off the flame and dry roast curry leaves in the heat of the pan. Keep aside.
4. Now heat the remaining oil and saute tomatoes till they turn soft and mushy.
5. Grind all the roasted ingredients along with tomatoes, salt and sugar to a paste.
6. Temper mustard seeds and add to the chutney.