I love Pongal – yes, the pure and divine Ven Pongal(recipe coming soon) laden with ghee and cashews !! The very thought of it makes me drool. A super yummy Pongal can be made even better with an appropriate accompaniment, right? Pongal is usually accompanied with Coconut Chutney or Sambar. However, people in my family make something called Pachi Pulusu aka Tamarind dip. There are many versions of this. The one I am posting here is of course from mommy dearest 🙂 This tastes heavenly when paired with Pongal with the tangy taste tickling our taste buds.
This mainly uses tamarind along with green chillies and a few other ingredients. Jaggery is also added to impart a slightly sweet flavour to this. Apart from the tastes matching perfectly, the color matches perfectly to the white Ven Pongal. Tamarind has a host of health benefits. It is extremely good for skin and hair. Acts as a good laxative. For more information refer http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-tamarind/. If you have only tried sambar or chutney as a side dish for Pongal, then it is time for a change. Try this out and let me know your feedback.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Tamarind – Gooseberry Sized
Green Chillies – 2
Paruppu Podi / Roasted Gram Powder – 1.5 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Jaggery – 2 tsp or more
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Salt – to taste
1. Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice completely. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan.Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
3. Saute slit green chillies.
3. Now add the tamarind extract, paruppu podi, chilli powder, jaggery and salt to taste.
4. Allow to simmer and thicken.
5. Serve hot with pongal.
– Paruppu Podi is a mixture of roasted gram powder and red chillies. you can just use roasted gram powder instead of this.
– If roasted gram powder is used, chilli powder can be increased according to taste.
– Quantity of jaggery can also be varied according to taste.