I love sandwiches.. although very weird that I haven’t posted a sandwich recipe(using bread) as yet!! Well, I promise I will post one very soon. I get this sudden craving to eat something at times. And one fine day, wanted to have sandwiches. I did not have bread in my pantry though. I could find only eggs in my fridge and a few capsicums. So, to satiate my craving, I had to make this Omelette Sandwich and trust me, my palate was super happy 🙂 Simple ways to bring you the happiness right??
This is a super simple recipe which can be done in a jiffy. The basic idea here is to use omelette instead of bread.You can always experiment or innovate with the fillings. Mine was a very simple filling that uses onions, tomatoes and capsicums mainly. Eggs and veggies together made this yummy and healthy too. Let us move on to the recipe now.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Onion – 1 medium
Tomatoes – 1 medium
Capsicum – 1/2 big
Green Chilli Sauce – 2 tsp
Tomato Sauce – 1 tsp
Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Mayonnaise – 1 tbsp
Eggs – 2
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the chopped onions and saute till they turn pink.
2. Next add tomatoes and little salt. Saute till little mushy.
3. Next add capsicums and saute till they turn little soft.
4. Now add the sauces, pepper powder, mayonnaise and salt. Mix well.
5. Meanwhile break the eggs and whisk them well with little salt.
6. Make omelettes and cut each into four portions.
7. Stuff the filling between two omelette pieces and serve with tomato ketchup.
– Any filling can be used.
– Mayonnaise is optional but gives a nice thickness to the filling.
– You can add dried herbs like oregano too.
– Omelette can also be made more spicy and with other masalas.
I love eggs in any form – boiled, scrambled or in the form of an omelette. Same goes with hubby too. So, what would you do when you see half a dozen eggs lying in your fridge and waiting to be gobbled up? I definitely wanted to try something different. I had always wanted to try omelette in a gravy and today was the day for Almond Omelette Gravy. Yummy omelette pieces dunked in a tangy gravy. Sounds great right? Tasted great too 🙂
Ok, so you might be wondering what are almonds doing here?? Well, this one does not use onion-tomato paste for the gravy but uses almonds instead. I have started preferring almonds over cashews in gravies of late. The result is a much healthier gravy and of course yummy too 🙂
To talk about the nutrition quotient, Eggs are rich in protein and have a lot more nutritional benefits. Same goes with almonds. So, this is a perfect healthy gravy to go with your rotis or rice varieties. Do check out my other curry varieties which includes an Almond Paneer Capsicum Curry. Now, off to the recipe.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Eggs – 3
Onions – 2 small
Tomatoes – 2 small
Almonds – 22-25
Tamarind – lemon sized
Sambar Powder – 2 tsp or depending on taste
Chilli Powder – optional
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Jaggery – 2 tsp
Coriander leaves – to garnish
1. Soak almonds and tamarind in water separately for atleast 20 minutes.
2. Grind the almonds to a smooth paste and extract the juice from tamarind. Keep aside.
3. Make omelettes of the eggs and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and once they splutter, add chopped onions and saute till they turn pink.
5. Now add chopped tomatoes and saute till they turn mushy.
6. Next add sambar powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix well.
7. Now add the tamarind extract and when it comes to a boil, add the almond paste and enough water to get the required gravy consistency.
8. Finally, add required salt and jaggery. Mix well.
9. When the whole thing comes to a boil, add the chopped omelette pieces and leave it for 2-3 minutes.
10 .Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
– I used the almonds with the skin. You can remove the skin too.
– Sambar powder can be replaced with 1 tsp Coriander Powder, 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder and 1/2 tsp Garam masala.
– Same can be tried with boiled eggs too.