Puffed Rice/Pori/Borugulu Upma – can be had as a chat too!!
Had this on my to do list for a very long time. Finally it was destined for yesterday’s dinner. I would rather say this is a chat instead of an upma and can be had to satisfy your evening cravings.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Pori/Puffed Rice – 18 cups (around 4 packets)
Onion – 1 big finely chopped
Tomatoes – 2 medium sized chopped
Green Chillies – 3 slit
Paruppu Podi – 2.5 tbsp
Chilli Powder – 0.5 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Curry Leaves – a few
Coriander Leaves – for garnish
1. Wash the puffed rice in water 2 times to remove dirt. Squeeze the excess water and strain the puffed rice. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Temper mustard, cumin and curry leaves.
3. Saute onions and green chillies till onions turn pink.
4. Add tomatoes and little salt. Saute till they turn mushy.
5. Add the puffed rice and mix well.
6. Now add the paruppu podi and chilli powder and little oil.
7. Add required salt and garnish with coriander leaves.
– Do not soak the puffed rice. This might spoil the texture of the upma.
– Urad dal and channa dal can also be added to tempering.
– Paruppu podi is nothing but a mixture of fried gram (pottukadalai/dalia) and red chillies in powder form. You can substitute with powdered fried gram and increase the quantity of chilli powder to your taste.
– Lemon juice can also be added at the last.
– Raw onions can also be used for the topping.