Green Peas Pulav/Peas Pulao – easy and simple!!
Green Peas Pulav/Pulao is the simplest pulao recipe that can be made in a jiffy. This is the best choice to serve your guests too. Sundays always need to be special in terms of lunch/dinner for us. I always settle down for some mild pulao with a spicy gravy/dal fry. This sunday was one such day and when peas was available, this was my immediate choice. Paired it with some Aloo Tikki Paneer masala(recipe coming soon) and Masoor Dal Fry. Hubby loves pulao paired with a gravy and so am happy too 🙂
I have used fresh green peas here. You can make use of dried peas too but that would require some soaking time. I also added a few mint leaves for extra flavor and it was great. Talking about the health benefits of peas, they are very low in calories and have a lot of health benefits. They are rich in folic acid, ascorbic acid, vitamin K etc etc. Apart from these benefits, the taste is overwhelmingly good. So, are you ready to create some magic in your kitchen with this yummy pulao? Here you go….
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Basmathi rice – 1.25 cups
Fresh Green Peas – around 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 sliced
Green Chillies – 3
Mint Leaves – a handful
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Star Anise – 1 or 2
Cloves – 4/5
Cinnamon – small piece
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Water – 2.5 cups
1. Wash and clean basmathi rice. Soak in water for around 30 minutes.
2. Heat ghee in a pan. Add the cumin seeds. once they splutter, add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and star anise. Saute for 2 minutes.
3. Next add onions and green chillies. saute till the onions turn translucent.
4. Now add green peas and mint leaves. Add little water so that the peas become little soft.
5. Once the water is absorbed, add the drained basmathi rice. Fry till the rice grains become dry.
6. Add 2.5 cups water to an automatic rice cooker. Add the above peas and rice mixture.Add required salt.
7. Switch on the rice cooker to cooking mode and cook till done.
Pressure Cooker Method:
I did this in a rice cooker. If you do it in a pressure cooker, do steps 1-5 in the pressure cooker directly. Then add 2.5 cups water and salt. Close the cooker with weight on. once two whistles are done, reduce the flame to sim and cook for another 5 minutes. Open and mix once the pressure subsides.