Millets have gained a lot of importance these days and naturally these healthy grains find an important place in my kitchen. I usually make pongal, tikkis etc with all kinds of millets. This time I made a very simple khichdi with little millet aka samai and moong dal. My kiddo loved it and the mommy in me is super happy!!
I do not necessarily have to elaborate the health benefits of millets. Google will do a much better job here. So all those of you looking for a yummy millet recipe, scroll down right away. Please do like my fb page at https://facebook.com/clicksnbites or subscribe to get notified of new recipes.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Little Millet/Saamai – 1 cup
Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Onions – 2 medium sliced
Tomatoes – 2 medium chopped
Green Chillies – 2
Sambar Powder – 1.5 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Water – as required
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Curry leaves and coriander leaves – a few
Jeera/Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
1. Pressure cook dal with enough water, turmeric powder and oil till soft.
2. Wash millet well. Drain water.
3. Pressure cook millet with 3 cups of water for 4-5 whistles.
4. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and once they sizzle, add the onions along with chillies and fry till the onions turn brown.
5. Now add tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy.
6. Now add sambar powder and mix well.
7. Add little water, dal,cooked millet and required salt. Mix well.
8. Switch off the stove and add liitle ghee. Garnish with coriander leaves.
9. Serve hot with coconut chutney.