Started to cook masoor dal only recently. And we loved the taste at the very first attempt. This is a very very simple recipe that can be done in a jiffy. It tastes great with jeera rice, pulao and rotis. This uses easily available ingredients at home and can be prepared easily by a beginner too. Masoor Dal is one of the healthiest dals with a unique taste of its own. Let us have a look at the recipe.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Masoor Dal – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 medium sized
Tomatoes – 2 small
Green Chillies – 3
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander Leaves – for garnish
1. Pressure cook dal for 5-6 whistles or till soft.Mash and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Temper cumin seeds.
3. Add chopped onion and slit green chillies. Saute till they are done.
4. Add tomatoes and little salt. Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
5. Add cumin, chilli and turmeric powders and mix well.
6. Add the cooked dal and water to get the desired consistency.
7. Add salt. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves.
– Oil can be replaced with ghee/butter for a richer taste.
– A tadka with red chillies can be added at the final stage.