We do not have rice for dinner daily. So, I have to make some different tiffin everyday which involves raking of my brains to find something different. That is when these instant idiyappam/sevai packets come to rescue. Yesterday was one such day when we had lemon idiyappam/ lemon sevai for dinner. We can have n number of combinations done with this. I used Anil Rice Vermicelli to prepare this. Generally, I steam the vermicelli and have it as such with a good side dish like Masoor Dal Fry or some spicy gravy like Tricolor Capsicum Salan etc. When you really do not want to stay in the kitchen for long, then I would strongly recommend this.
The recipe here uses lemon and gives a nice tangy taste to the otherwise bland vermicelli. You really do not require any side dish for this. But if you still prefer something as an accompaniment, pickle would be a good choice. Feel free to add extra ingredients to make it much more tastier. You can have this as an evening snack and serve your guests too 🙂 Lets get on to the recipe now.
Time: 20 minutes
Rice Vermicelli – 200 g
Lemon – 1.5 medium sized lemons
Green Chillies – 2 or 3 chopped finely
Onions – 1 medium sized chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
1. Prepare the rice vermicelli as per the packet instructions. I used anil brand. I generally pour boiling water over the vermicelli and leave it for 5 minutes. Then drain and steam it for 8 more minutes.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds.
3. Add chopped onions and chillies. Saute till the onions turn soft and transparent.
4. Take the steamed vermicelli in a wide bowl. Add the onion-chilli mixture, turmeric powder,lemon juice, oil and salt to taste.
5. Apply oil on your hands and mix everything well.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves.
– You can also add roasted peanuts/cashew nuts to give a crunchy taste.Tadka of urad dal and channa dal can also be added.
– Add/reduce amount of lemon juice according to your taste.