Lauki/Sorakaya/Bottle Gourd is one vegetable which I was really not fond of until I had it in the form of this chutney or pachadi. Andhra is famous for its spicy pachadis and chutneys that we usually mix it with hot steamed rice and ghee. This is one such Pachadi that I learnt from my grandmother. She makes the best lauki chutney. I still cannot match the taste of the chutney that she makes. Curd rice/ pappu buvva(dhal rice) and this chutney make the best pair. This also goes very well with idlis and dosas or anything for that matter. I am just drooling as I write this post. This is extremely simple to make but the taste is just out of the world!! Try it out for yourself.
Lauki/Bottle Gourd – 8-9 big pieces
Green chillies – 2-3
Tamarind – slightly bigger than marble
Jaggery – as required
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Onion – 1 small chopped finely
Curry leaves – a few
Oil – 1 tsp
1. Pressure cook the lauki pieces till soft. You can also cook them in an open pan if you do not want it very soft.
2. Heat oil in a pan and saute green chillies.
3. Blend the cooked lauki along with chillies, tamarind, jaggery and salt to a fine/coarse paste as per your preference.
4. Heat oil in a tempering pan and temper items given under “To Temper” section and add to the blended mixture.
5. Yummy lauki chutney is ready. Serve with hot rice and ghee/ curd rice/ paruppu saadham.
Note: Please do not omit jaggery as it gives a very unique taste to the chutney.