Idli Podi – the perfect accompaniment for your idlis and dosas!!
Idli Podi/Molagapodi or Gunpowder – yes, the name is so common in almost all South Indian homes. When you run out of time to prepare a chutney or sambar, just a dash of gingelly oil into this yummy powder does the magic!! This can be used for stir fries/poriyals too. Goes really well with idli, dosa, uthappams etc. A South Indian tiffin menu is incomplete without this. This recipe is from my mother in law and it tastes great. Now off to the recipe.
Dry Red Chillies – 35-38
Coriander Seeds – 3/4 cup
Urad Dal – 3/4 cup
Channa Dal – little more than 1/2 cup
Asafoetida/Hing/Perungayam – 3 or 4 pieces
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
1. Heat oil in a big kadai. Once oil is hot, add asafoetida pieces and roast till they change color and are soft.
2. Add the chillies with the stem and roast till they are crisp and give a tingling sound.
3. Add urad and channa dals. Once they start to turn brown, add dhania/coriander seeds and roast till the dals are golden brown. Switch off the stove.
4. Let the whole mixture cool down.
5. Discard the stem of the chillies.
6. Blend everything along with required salt to a powder.
7. Store in airtight container.
– Please ensure the roasting is done on a low flame.
– Take care not to burn the chillies. They should not become black.