This is one of the simplest upma varieties that can be made in a jiffy. This is very healthy too because of oats and the veggies added.
Oats – 1.5 cups
Onion – 1
Carrot – 1 grated
Capsicum – 1
Chilli Powder – 3/4 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Water – 1/2 cup or more
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Salt – to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan. Temper mustard and cumin seeds.
2. Once the splutter, add chopped onion and fry till translucent.
3. Add tomatoes and add a pinch of salt so that the tomatoes cook faster.Next add the carrot and capsicum and saute for 3 minutes.
4. Once the veggies are soft, add all the masala powders and saute for 3 minutes.
5. Finally add oats(I used Quaker oats) and fry so that oats gets coated with all the masalas.
6. Sprinkle water little by little and cook till oats becomes soft and completely cooked without any raw taste.
7. Add salt finally and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with tomato ketchup.