Familiar with Shahi Paneer??? Yes…What about Shahi Semiya(vermicelli) then!!!
The other day, when I was browsing through my facebook groups, I came across a lot of posts on Thayir Semiya(aka curd semiya). Was wondering how do I make something on similar lines but quite different. Eureka!! Then came this idea of making Semiya Upma , the shahi style. Yes you read it right!! It is Shahi Semiya. Read on to know the recipe.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Roasted Semiya/Vermicelli – 1.5 cups
Milk – 2 cups
Water – 1 cup
Almonds – 1/4 cup
Pistachios – 7-8
Green Chillies – 2/3
Onion – 1 medium sized finely chopped
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Curry leaves – a few
Coriander – for garnish
Salt – To taste
1. Put almonds and pistachios in boilng water and let them soak for 10 mins. Once they cool down, remove the skin of almonds. Grind the almonds, pistachios and green chillies to a fine paste and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Once they splutter, add onions and saute till they turn transparent.
3. Now add the ground paste and curry leaves and saute for 3 minutes.
4. Add 2 cups of milk and 1 cup of water and allow it to come to a boil.
5. Now add roasted vermicelli on a slow flame along with needed salt.
6. Switch off the stove after vermicelli is cooked.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
– If you are using unroasted vermicelli, dry roast till it changes color.
– This dish becomes dry over time. So before serving, you can add milk or yogurt(add yogurt when the dish has cooled down).
– You can also add fresh cream at the end to make it even more creamier.
You might also like the Masala Semiya Upma recipe. Please check it out here.