Corn Poha Vadas/Fritters
When you are a mother of a toddler, all that you can mostly think about is what food to prepare for the kid. I am sure most moms would agree with me on this. I face this thought almost every day on what needs to be made for his school snack or evening snack. That is when I tried these corn poha vadas or fritters which were amazingly delicious with the sweetness of sweet corn and the goodness of Poha/Aval/flattened rice. I have made use of Red poha here which makes this even more healthy. It is deep fried but an indulgence once in a while is not bad, right? It is absolutely ok for kids to munch on this. You could make these for your toddler’s snack box or make these piping hot in the evenings once they are back from school too. Let us move on to the recipe now.
Preparation method for Corn Poha Vadas:
Makes: 15 vadas
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Sweet corn kernels (raw) – 1 and 1/2 cups
Red Poha/Red Aval/ Red flattened rice – 1 cup
Besan/Gram Flour – 1 cup or as needed
Green Chilli – 1 or 2
Onion – 1 medium sized finely chopped
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp(optional)
Salt – as needed
Oil – for deep frying
1. Blend raw sweet corn kernels and green chilli to a coarse paste and keep aside.
2. Soak poha in some water for only 3 minutes. Wash and drain the water. Squeeze the excess water from the poha and add it to the corn chilli paste.
3. To the above mixture, add besan, finely chopped onions, chilli powder, salt and coriander leaves such that the mixture is not very watery nor very tight. The amount of besan that needs to be added depends on the water content of the corn and besan should be enough to get the correct consistency. If the mixture is going to be watery, the vadas will drink a lot of oil.
4. Heat enough oil in a pan.
5. Make small balls out of the mixture and deep fry in oil in medium flame till they turn golden brown in color.
6. Serve hot with chutney or ketchup.