Mirchi Ka Salan is a very famous gravy that is had with biryani. I tried the salan recipe long back with long chillies that are used to make bajjis. After a long gap, wanted to try the recipe with capsicums. Luckily, had all the three colors at home and this tasted great with capsicums too. PAired this wRead on for the recipe.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Green Capsicums – 2 medium
Red Capsicum – 1 medium
Yellow Capsicum – 1 medium
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Tamarind – gooseberry sized
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
To roast and grind:
Grated fresh coconut – 1/4 cup
Peanuts – 1/4 cup
White Sesame Seeds – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1 medium sized
Oil – 2 tsp
1. Heat oil in a pan. Roast the coconut till brown and keep aside.
2. Next add peanuts and sesame seeds and roast till brown. Keep aside.
3. Finally add onions and saute till they turn golden brown.
4. Blend all of the above to a smooth paste.
5. Heat remaining oil in a pan. Temper cumin seeds.
6. Add the chopped capsicums and ginger garlic paste. Saute for 2 minutes.
7. Now add all the masalas and saute for sometime.
8. Finally add the ground paste and tamarind extract. Mix well.
9. Add required salt and let the mixture simmer for sometime.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves.
– You can just use green peppers if the other two colors are not available.