I love the normal Ven Pongal that is made in most south indian homes. My hubby somehow is so bored with the normal pongal that he eats it so disinterestedly whenever it is made. I, being someone who hates upmas do not like daliya/broken wheat upma specifically. Was looking at satiating both our appetites yesterday with something that is different from what we both do not like. So, that is when making pongal with daliya stuck me. This is a healthier version compared to the normal rice pongal and it was equally tasty too!!!
Broken Wheat/Daliya – 1 cup
Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Water – 4 cups
Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Green Chillies – 2/3
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Hing – a pinch
Salt – to taste
1. Pressure cook moong dal with enough water till soft for about 6 whistles.
2. Dry roast daliya for 2-3 minutes till nice aroma comes.
3. Heat ghee in a pan and add green chillies and saute for a minute.
4. Now add cumin seeds, pepper corns, hing and curry leaves and saute.
5. Once they are done, add 4 cups of water,turmeric powder and required salt.
6. Lower the flame and add the daliya slowly with continuous stirring.
7. After the daliya absorbs water and is almost cooked, add the moong dal and simmer for 3 minutes.
8. Healthy daliya pongal is ready to serve.Serve it with any chutney or sambar of your choice.