Well, I had already posted a simple brinjal curry recipe which is more of a gravy kind. The one I am posting right now is a semi-solid curry and it goes really well with hot steamed rice. Again this one is from the cookbook called “MUMMY” and of course, one of my favourites. My mother calls it Vankaya(brinjal in telugu) Iguru but to put it simple, I would rather call it Brinjal Onion Curry after its two main ingredients. If you are looking to lose weight, brinjal is a good choice as it a low calorie vegetable and has its share of nutritional benefits.Lets move on to the recipe now.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Medium Sized Brinjals – 4
Medium Sized Onions – 3
Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Tamarind Extract – little
Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
1. Grind coriander seeds with little salt. To this, add onions and chilli powder and grind to a coarse paste.
2. Chop brinjals into bite sized pieces and put them in water.3
3. Heat oil in a pan and temper mustard seeds.
4. Add brinjals and saute till they turn soft and are almost cooked.
5. Now add the onion paste and saute till the raw smell disappears.
6. Finally add tamarind extract, jaggery and salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Switch off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.