Beetroot Poriyal/ Stir Fry with Peanuts
This beetroot poriyal/stir fry is a tasty mix of beetroots and peanuts. Hubby tasted this when his colleague brought this for lunch and he loved it instantly. So, this recipe comes from there. The reddish beauties are highly nutritious and very good for the heart. They offer protection against coronary artery disease and stroke, lower cholesterol levels within the body, and have anti-aging effects. Peanuts on the other hand are equally healthy too.Just a handful of peanuts per day provides enough recommended levels of anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins, and protein. This is extremely simple and can be made in around 15 minutes.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes + soaking time
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Beetroots – 2 medium sized chopped
Peanuts – 2.5 tbsp soaked in water overnight.
Onion – 1 medium sized chopped
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp or more
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – for garnish
1. Drain water from the peanuts and keep aside. Pressure cook the peanuts along with chopped beetroot pieces for around 4 whistles or till soft.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
3. Add onions and saute tillt ransparent.
4. Now add the cooked beetroot and peanuts.
5. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and stir for 2-3 minutes.
6. Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
– Once pressure cooked, the vegetable releases water. Do not throw away the water. Instead can be used in dhal or sambar or any other dish. Since this is a dry dish, do not use it here.
– Chilli powder can be adjusted according to taste.
– For a tangy taste, lime juice can also be added at last.