My kid is a fussy little eater and eats only few veggies that he likes. Plantain is one such veggie. He loves to have this plantain fry. This is a very simple fry which uses just tamarind and sambar powder for the spice paste. I have already posted a fry recipe which is little different from this one.
Plantains – 3
Tamarind – little bigger than a marble
Sambar powder – 2 Tsp or according to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 Tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – as required
1. Peel the plantains and cut into thin slices. Place the slices immersed in water.
2. Blend tamarind along with other ingredients and enough water to a smooth paste.
3. Take the plantain slices out of water and marinate in the masala paste for some time.
4. Drizzle oil in a tawa and roast the slices on a low flame till they are done. Sprinkle water often and also keep turning them over to prevent burning.
I was bored of the usual sambar menu. So wanted to have something different and made this tomato Gojju. I am a great fan of this and used to gobble down dal rice with this when mom used to make it. This is super simple to make. You can pair this with idlis, dosas or simple dal rice.
Tomatoes – 4 medium sized
Garlic – 7-8 cloves
Onion – 1 medium sized
Tamarind – marble sized
Sambar/Red Chilli Powder – 1 TSP
Hing/asafoetida – 1/4 Tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 Tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 Tsp
Rice flour – 1 tbsp
Jaggery – 1 tsp
Coriander and curry leaves – a few
1. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds.
2. Add finely chopped onion and garlic. Saute till the onion turns brown.
3. Add tomatoes and saute till they turn soft and mushy.
4. Add spice powders and saute till the raw smell leaves
5. Add tamarind juice, jaggery,salt and enough water and bring to boil.
6. Mix some rice flour with water to a smooth paste and add it with constant stirring for the thickening effect.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves.
If your tomatoes are too sour, you can skip tamarind.
A drink recipe after a long time!!! Lime Mint Cooler – as it is popularly known is one of my favorite drinks. I had this in my office canteen first and from then on, this is one of my favourites. This is a very simple one to make with minimal ingredients and very healthy too. I have used sugar in the recipe but you can replace it with honey as well.
Mint leaves – handful
Sugar – 1-1.5 tsp
Lemon Juice – half of lemon
Water – 1/2 cup
Pinch of Salt
1. Blend the mint leaves along with sugar, water and salt.
2. Strain to get a smooth liquid. Add lemon juice finally.
Here comes the recipe for Baked Potato Wedges.I am tired of mentioning my love for potatoes but I never get tired of consuming them. Give me potatoes and I can just eat them for all 3 meals. Such is the versatility of these humble little darlings. I make potato stir fry usually for my son to make him complete his lunch somehow. He loves them so much. Like Momma like kid 😉 I have potatoes lying in my kitchen almost always. This weekend was one such day when the potatoes looked at me longingly. Now that I have got an OTG, I wanted to bake these for a healthy snack for my kid. He relished them as always 🙂 :)\nThese are made with very little oil and the spice mix used can be your choice. I used Indian spices. There are lots of other options available too like pepper powder, fresh or dried herbs, cheese etc etc.
Potatoes – 4 medium sized
Chilli Powder – as per taste
Cumin Powder – 3/4 tsp
Oil – 3 tsp
Kasuri Methi – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Butter – optional
Salt – to Taste
1. Wash potatoes well. Peel the skin and cut into wedges.
2. Parboil the wedges in boiling water for 5 mins. Drain and keep aside.
3. Meanwhile preheat oven to 220 ℃
4. Mix the wedges with all other ingredients.
5. Take a baking tray and cover with aluminium foil. Place the seasoned wedges.
6. Bake for around 20-25 minutes. Turn the wedges in the middle.
7. After they are done, mix some butter when the wedges are still hot. This step is optional
– This can be done on stove top also if you do not have an oven.
– The seasoning can be varied according to choice. You can just use oregano and chilli flakes.
– Oven timings vary. So, please keep a watch so that they do not burn.